JAMES TYLER VARIAX US CUSTOM SERIES: A WORK OF ART WORTHY OF HANGING ON YOUR WALL
To create James Tyler Variax US Custom Series bodies and necks, the woodworking team pairs computer-aided drafting and machining (CNC) technology—which provides absolute consistency and superior intonation—with meticulous hand craftsmanship for incredible feel. The installation of the guitars’ unique electronics package required its own innovative approach, so the team developed new tools and methods to complement the capabilities of the CNC machines. This highly customized process requires significantly more time than it takes to build a standard guitar.
Every single guitar passes through the most skilled woodworkers, painters and builders in the business. Representing over a century of experience, the talented team demonstrates deep passion and pride while bringing James Tyler’s designs to life.
THE HD MODELING PROCESS: VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS CAPTURED IN INCREDIBLE DETAIL.
The process of modeling a vintage instrument using Variax HD technology is complex. Every facet of the guitar—including the body, electronics and metal parts—influences the way the instrument sounds and responds, and must be captured during modeling. By painstakingly analyzing and capturing every single aspect of the most iconic vintage instruments, the Line 6 team ensured that Variax delivers the sound and feel of the world’s most coveted guitars with stunning detail. The result is accurate and realistic tone reproduction that stays true to the original instruments.
THE CRAFTSMANSHIP OF THE JTV-59
Expertly crafted in the United States, JTV-59-US places cutting-edge Variax® technology inside a classic tonewood combination established by the archetypal set-neck, single-cutaway solidbodies of the 1950s. The figured maple top is carved into a gentle arch and paired with a mahogany body and quarter-sawn mahogany neck. This combination of woods yields the full spectrum of warmth, depth, clarity and complexity that has made maple/mahogany construction legendary.
A pair of alnico humbucking pickups translates this guitar’s stunning tone to the amp of your choice. They’re wound to James Tyler's specs in the image of vintage PAF-style humbuckers, but with expanded versatility for the contemporary player and a little extra output in the bridge position. To complete the package, JTV-59US features a unique Tyler-designed, fully adjustable wraparound bridge (which redefines resonant coupling between strings and body); a supremely comfortable neck patterned after Tyler's own '59 neck shape, with a smoothly contoured heel; and jaw-dropping looks courtesy of six hand-sprayed finishes.
MEET THE MASTER: LEARN MORE ABOUT JAMES TYLER
As the founder of James Tyler Guitars, master luthier James Tyler has helped put an unprecedented array of tones in the hands of professional and enthusiast guitarists alike. Captivated by guitars at an early age, James Tyler opened his first repair shop in Reseda, California in 1980, and quickly gained high-profile fans including Michael Landau, Neil Stubenhaus, Buzz Feiten and many more. The following decades brought a collection of stunningly creative guitars and basses, outrageous finishes, lauded pickups and a growing roster of loyal artists. Every project reflected his lifelong quest to create the perfect guitar and electronics package to deliver amazing tone—which made him the ideal partner for James Tyler Variax guitars.
- Chrome hardware
- Tobacco sunbusrt finish
- Hand-selected mahogany body and carved figured maple top
- Set quarter-sawn mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard and dot inlays
- 24-9/16" scale length
- Tyler '59 neck shape
- 22 medium-jumbo German-wire frets
- 1-11/16" Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL self-lubricating nut
- Hipshot Classic Guitar Tuning Machines (18:1 turn ratio)
- Chrome hardware
- Fully adjustable Tyler-designed wraparound bridge
- L. R. Baggs Radiance Hex piezo pickup system
- Two alnico humbucking pickups, wound to James Tyler’s specs
- Master Volume and Tone knobs
- Model and Alt Tune knobs
- 3-way selector switch
- Made in the United States
- Assembled by a veteran luthier
- High-quality local setup and inspection
- VDI (Variax® Digital Interface) for integration with Line 6 Helix, POD HD500x and POD HD PROx, and limited compatibility with POD® xt, POD® X3, Vetta™ II amplifier and other legacy Line 6 products
- Two lithium-ion batteries (for up to 24 hours of play time) and international wall charger (also functions as standard electric guitar without batteries)
- Variax Workbench™ software and USB interface
- Includes high-quality, plush-lined G&G hard-shell case
- Additional battery, charger and cable kit available separately